在公共汽车上
A:Is this the Central Park to East Market bus?这是从中央公园到东区市场的公共汽车吗?
B:This is the East Market to Central Park bus. Where do you want to go?这是从东区市场到中央公园的汽车。你去哪儿呢?
A:To the Municipal Government Hall.去市政府大厅。
B:Take the same number bus going in the other direction. There’s a stop right across the street.请坐去相反方向的这一路公共汽车。街的对面就有个站台。
A:Thank you.谢谢。
Social Security-(社会保险)
A:Man, they take a lot of our paycheck.嘿,他们从我的薪水里扣了不少钱哦。
B:Yeah, the government really takes a bite, doesn’t it?是呀,政府确实扣除不少。
A:Seriously. The only tax I don’t mind them taking is social security. It’s only a few dollars every paycheck.当然。只有社会保险这种税我不介意上交。每回只要从薪水里面扣除几元钱。
B:Yeah, I don’t mind it either. We’ll both end up rich slobs and not need it, but what if we do, you know?是呀,我也不介意。我们最终肯定不会缺钱也不会需要它,但是如果我们有这个钱的话,你知道?
A:Yeah. It won’t be much, but at least we’ll have a monthly check when we get old.是呀,虽然不多,但是最少老了以后每个月有一个固定收入。
B:Yeah. My grandmother gets by on social security and the money my grandfather invested when he was alive.是呀,我祖母就是靠社会保险金和祖父在世时的投资生活。
A:Let’s just hope the politicians don’t figure out a way to spend it.让我们巴望政治家们不会想着法子把它用掉吧。
B:Really?No, they couldn’t. None of them would have jobs if they did.真的吗?不,不会的。如果他们这样做了,他们的工作就不保了。